A Snippet....

Most of you know me as the 2012 Olympic Silver Medalist.....#19.









 Others know me as the #21 Texas Longhorn.






 I am pretty sure no one knows how it all started. I found myself watching my sister, Marshevet, play sports when she was 13 years old. I would go to every game, track meet, sports banquet, and interview of hers. I was always in her shadow. She was my inspiration. I admired how dedicated she was. I was honored to get to play on varsity with her as a freshman in high school. I remember the first article they wrote about us in our high school paper..... "LITTLE FISH IN A BIG POND". 

Would you believe if I told you I ran track outside of high jumping? lol Again that was back in 2003-2006 I don't think I will ever do that again.

 


Not to mention my sister and I went to the University of Texas together. What an amazing experience that was. I actually graduated high school early because I knew that my sister was going to go pro so I wanted to be able to share one year with her. It had its perks..... we were roommates on the road, we were buddies in the airport, I always had a ride lol, if I needed something she was there. I could also always look up in the stands during my volleyball games and see her there with my parents and to me was truly a blessing. Did I mention the photoshoots we had to take lol..... one word "AWKWARD"







No one really knows my story but if they ask I have no problem sharing that is one thing I have learned through my journey as an athlete and that is to be humble. It took me a while to get it down but I have it and I refuse to shake this feeling. 


I have been blessed to play overseas for the past 10 years. In my experience there is only two things your career can give you. Thats a lesson or a blessing. Not every season is going to be perfect. Not ever season are you going to win a championship but you gain experience, knowledge, support, fans, a reputation, and teammates who turn into friends sometimes family depending on your relationship with them. I have played in South Korea, Italy, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Russia, and more. All have taught me so much and have changed me as a player and a person. 






OSASCO 2018-2019 (Brazil)




IBK 2014-2015 (South Korea)




Camponesa Minas 2016-2017 (Brazil)


My career is far from over and honestly it feels like it is just beginning. I have a fresh start! I have never felt so alive!! I am 31 years old and a mother to two healthy kids!! Life couldn't get any better than this!! All I can say is life is good and I owe it all to God. Follow me on Twitter: @destineehooker and Instagram: @thevolleyballqueen19 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiana Dockery....

Viva La Mexico!!

Stevie Kaye.....